Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Movies, Living Room Theaters, Hip & Groovy Portland

David and I have discovered the Living Room Theaters on Stark Street in downtown (about a block away from Powell's). We've seen two movies there so far, "Unconscious" (ENTHUSIASTIC THUMBS UP) and "Broken English" (we're agnostic on this one, to put it politely). The deal with this theater is that you sit in posh chairs and they bring you food and drink, if you like. The theaters are small, the movies are mostly subtitled and obscure, but that's just the kind of thing we need now and then to get out of our own heads.

But this is what I wanted to mention: sometimes when I go downtown in Portland I forget what city I'm in. Really. I don't recognize NW Portland (Pearl District) at all and easily get lost in all the pearl, pink, mauve glitzerati, poodle-walking, loft-living urban center that Portland has become. Who are these people? Who am I? Do I even belong here? More and more David and I have commented to each other that we are an anachronism in our own town.

No comments:

Tree Planting - November 14, 2009 - Omaha Street Parkway