Sunday, December 21, 2008

Silver Thaw


This morning we have about 10 inches of snow with about a .5" layer of ice encrusted on the top of it. The tree limbs are bowed with ice on them; if it warms up we will have that silver thaw we used to talk about when we were kids. I don't hear that term used anymore...I wonder why???

We still have power - last night was so eerily quiet it made me think of Mom's essay on Noise - which she wrote once when her power went out during a winter storm. I'd say we're at Noise - 1. The power is still on, but the snow (and layer of ice on top of it) keeps people in their homes and muffles all other sounds of the city outside. I was up early this morning with dog, and it felt like I was the only person living on earth it was so quiet....

No comments:

Tree Planting - November 14, 2009 - Omaha Street Parkway