Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday morning update

Today's weather is something else - each day surpasses the last as weather excitement.

This morning we woke up to another 5" of snow on top of what we had last night. OHSU Ambulatory services closed the outpatient clinics last night and all of my clinics are closed except for one of my downtown clinics.

Then OHSU closed its administrative services except for essential personnel. I guess I'm essential, so I'm at work now. It wasn't easy to get here - walked 10 minutes to the MAX line in ice encrusted snow (in Roberta's pink boots! they're fantastic!) to find that the MAX line isn't running (because the switches are frozen). There is a shuttle bus and I got on that and rode to the Rose Quarter where I switched to a Red Line train to downtown where I switched to the Portland Streetcar. Rode that down to the Waterfront where OHSU has a tram. Got on the tram with 100 other people (100% full!) and off we went up in the snow clouds. There is so much ice on the tram line that as the tram moves the ice chips and cracks and explodes and is flying all over the outside of the tram cabin. Below is I-5 and Terwilliger on part of the route so can only imagine what the traffic below gets hit with. It took two hours to get here. The bad news is at some point I must reverse this journey and go home. I'm not looking forward to the tram ride down the hill.

No comments:

Tree Planting - November 14, 2009 - Omaha Street Parkway