Monday, January 28, 2008

The New Wendy

When I left the Center for Evidence-based Policy, I created a full-scale book describing how I performed all my duties there. I created chapters, pictures, instructions, etc. I thought it was the best way to leave that job to the person who would eventually land the ship.

When I took my new job, I looked around for the instruction manual. I looked high and low, and there is no manual. Every day is a new experience in bewilderment, as I call around to differing departments looking for the person who's the expert on, say, professional services contracts, getting research dollars out of suspense, or, my favorite, what to do when employees are stealing cash from your clinic.

Everywhere I go around the OHSU campus I am introduced as "the New Wendy." On Day One that was cute. It is now Day Eleven. Its rapidly becoming annoying. Today, at an executive committee meeting some pulmonologist actually said to me, "Oh, you've got big shoes to fill as the New Wendy." Those who refuse to know my real name are getting a return smile that is a bit snarly. The New Wendy has a few questions for the old Wendy; like where the Hell is the operation manual on how to run the department? Also, The New Wendy wants to know the combination to all the safes so that the New Wendy can keep the cash drawers locked up.

The only up side to all this is that there is a proposed revision to the Fiscal Integrity Policy that makes Department Administrators responsible for all cash lost out of the clinics. As long as they think my name is "New Wendy" they won't be able to charge my account.

No comments:

Tree Planting - November 14, 2009 - Omaha Street Parkway